Monday, January 28, 2013

Level of Understanding and the GED

I think having this illness has given me a new level of understanding. The main thing being you can't look at someone and know their story, so you have no right to judge them. You never know what kind of storm God has asked someone to walk through.

 I get looks (or maybe I'm just paranoid...) when I'm in a wheelchair. Pity, sympathy, confusion, judgement and just plain gawking. When I see someone and I don't understand their situation I just send God a prayer for them. I don't know if it's medical or life or what but I know God is watching over them.

And hey random rant time! When people or doctors tell me there is a simple cure such as "strengthening my core" or "change my environment" or it's just that I am "de-conditioned" I want to scream in their face. What in the heck gives you the right to tell me its my fault for not trying harder. If it was that simple I WOULDN'T BE TALKING ABOUT IT. Especially doctors, you have a PhD? Good for you, but shouldn't you be willing to learn instead of telling me my core isn't strong enough? Stupid physical therapist... :)send that lady a mental hug and hope she broadens her knowledge one day.

And now about the GED...

Teenagers in general can be a bit... narrow-mined. Even more narrow-minded are the honor students. Here's how they see it, community college is below them and the GED is not an option because it's for stupid people. Okay by saying that, I don't mean every honor student thinks that or that they are bad people. I was one and that's just the thoughts that were in the back of my head and i know there are others who have the similar views. We are told by teachers to go to college and we make our 5 year plans assuming we go to universities; they don't mention community college to us. It doesn't matter if you don't know what you want to be, university is the path we are supposed to chose. 

The teachers aren't trying to be mean or anything, it's just the general assumption to those who are advanced. It is messed up, however the truth is 1 in every 20 first year college students is a GED graduate. A teacher has never said the GED is worth less and I don't think any of my friends have either, but there is also this assumption that you won't get hired or that you will get looked down on for having a GED versus a high school diploma. Don't tell me that future employers will look down on it because 95% of U.S. employers consider GED graduates the same as traditional high school graduates in regard to hiring, salary, and opportunity for advancement. Ever heard of  U.S. Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell? Yeah, me neither. Well he is/was a Senator for Colorado who earned is a GED graduate. I don't know if he still is or when he was a senator and my brain can only handle so much research at a time, BUT the words US senator caught my eye. Bill Cosby has his GED as well and we all know who he is.
  
The General Education Development test was created in 1942 to help World War II veterans finish their high school education and reenter "civilian life." in 1947 New York made the test available to civilians and the program awarded a high school diploma to those who passed. You have to score 410 or higher on each test (out of 800 which was my reading score! not to brag or anything...) which consists of Math, Science, Social Studies, Reading, and Writing. KEEP READING I SWEAR THERE IS MORE THAN JUST FACTS !

In 2010, more than 757,000 adults worldwide took some portion of the GED® test. Of that total, more than 655,000 completed test and 474,000 (72%) earned a passing score. That means they are trying which you have to give them props for because not everyone can be valedictorian and go to Harvard. Life happens... which is my entire point of this blog. "Those who earn a high enough score to earn a GED surpass and/or outperform about one third of high school seniors. Someone who passes the GED has demonstrated knowledge equal to or greater than 40% of those graduating seniors." Those with a GED are in fact VERY competent. I have to thank Mr. Chalmer Naugle who was incredibly helpful through out my entire GED-earning process!

I know there have been some other kids with CFS/ME who were debating over high school diploma versus GED and it just seemed like the choice was finish high school. I am SOOOO glad my mom talked to Chalmer because instead of suffering though high school I just got it over with! So much less stress and in my condition i just had to accept that life happens and understand that the high school just isn't for everyone. I know we have all pictured that graduation day in our heads since the day we entered high school as freshman, I know! I was supposed to walk across the gorgeous Red Rocks Amphitheater this May, but there was no way i would have finished 2 years worth of school in time to walk. I asked if it was really worth it and it just wasn't.

Well this only took me a month to write! I guess I'll just keep my hopes high and accomplish my goals one at a time.

but as for me, I will always have hope -Psalms 71:14


Resources  
http://www.westkentucky.kctcs.edu/en/Workforce_Solutions/GED_Testing.aspx
http://www.gedtestingservice.com/testers/faqs-test-taker
http://www.passged.com/faqs.php



4 comments:

  1. Just want you to know how proud I am of you! It pretty much sucks missing the "high school experience" -at least in the moment. In the long run though, it's only a few years out of your life, and there is so much more to do in life than the HS stuff.

    From your old auntie's perspective, it's kind of interesting to see people on FB and such that are "stuck" in high school. The truly interesting people that I knew back then are the ones that went out and did something with themselves instead of trying to live out their glory days from HS.

    So hang in there - you are making wonderful strides and I know that great things await you! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabby, I really enjoyed reading your latest blog post. Your common sense, philosophical approach to your situation is impressive and I'm hoping will be an inspiration to my 13 year old daughter with CFS and POTS who is currently homebound and unable to attend secondary school (as we call it here in the UK). My daughter refuses to go out in a wheelchair because of her worries about the gawking and the assumptions other kids will make about her. Your faith sounds like it is very helpful to you with this. We aren't religious, but I need to find a way of looking at it/dealing with it that will help her through this because she's missing out on being outside because of it. Thank you for sharing your positivity and for keeping up awareness of the effects these conditions have on teenagers' lives. Thank you also for sharing with us your inventiveness, spark and determination not to let it get the better of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Gabby. I'm so sorry you had to mature so quickly as a result of this illness but that's what you have done and you are a very practical, down to earth young lady by the sounds of it. Congratulations on your GED and may your days get easier. Please keep writing, it is so important to have a young person blogging about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chica! I can't believe I'm just discovering your blog in April! I am so proud of you. You are a strong young woman and you have worthwhile things to say. You have gained so much wisdom and insight in this whole process; it is very apparent to me. I miss you and I would LOVE to hang out soon. I want to talk life with you. Thanks for helping to open everyone's eyes and consider new perspectives. We need revolutionary thinkers!

    ReplyDelete