Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What is CFS/ME?

CFS stands for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

ME stands for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS is referred to ME outside of the United States).

CFS/ME is an Autoimmune disease. Google defines an autoimmune disease as: any of a large group of diseases characterized by abnormal functioning of the immune system that causes your immune system to produce antibodies against your own tissues
basically, it's your body attacking itself... 

CFS/ME affects and weakens the Immune system, Endocrine System, Cardiovascular… Overall weakening the entire body. It affects both genders and all ages.

Approximately 1 million Americans have CFS/ME which is more than breast cancer, lung cancer and Aids combine! how ridiculous is it that there isn't more money invested to finding a cure or more about it. 17 million people suffer from it world wide. At least 25% of CFS/ME patients are fully disabled. They’re often housebound or bedridden for several years. Hopefully, I can get part of my life back soon and not be part of that statistic.

“I can tell you if I had to chose between the two illnesses (2009) I would rather have HIV” -Dr. Nancy Klimas, The New York Times.

“My HIV patients are hale and hearty thanks to three decades of intense and excellent research and billions of dollars invested. Many of my CFS patients, on the other hand, are terribly ill and unable to work or participate in the care of their families” —Nancy Klimas, M.D.

Symptoms include: orthostatic intolerance, headaches, migraines neurological problems, memory loss/ brain fog and other cognitive dysfunction, nausea, muscle weakness or pain, exhaustion from over exertion, continual sensory overload, sensitivity to light or sound, dizziness, insomnia, oh and how could we forget EXTREME TIREDNESS; no matter how much we sleep its never enough, …and the list can continue but I’m sort of tired…go figure!

Many CFS/ME patients have POTS as well, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, which is a *dysautonomia condition dealing with orthostatic intolerance (see http://lifeonpause123.blogspot.com/2011/12/orthostatic-intoleranceinvisible.html which is my attempt at explaining). Basically, when I stand up my pulse and blood pressure will spike 20 points or higher. I've gone from laying down with a pulse of 100 to standing with a pulse of 150 after standing for 5 minutes. Normal people's body would regulate that after 5 minutes. In my case, I have NMH (Neurally Mediated Hypotension  as well as POTS. I don't know much about NMH, but I'm told they all fit together. 

*Dysautonomia: "a medical term utilized for a group of complex conditions that are caused by a malfunction of the autonomic nervous system" (MedicalNewsToday.com)

Well that's CFS/ME. it sucks. a lot. but with enough positivity and support I’m ready to take on life with CFS…sorta…i’m kinda tired today though…so a nap THEN take on life

Sources:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXVO99mDulw
http://www.smileforme.org.uk/symptoms/
http://www.cfids.org/about-cfids/research.asp
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/76785.php

No comments:

Post a Comment